Thursday, February 28, 2008

Read Aloud 2 - Alexander, Who Used to be Rich Last Sunday

I read the book Alexander, Who Used to be Rich Last Sunday, by Judith Viorst. This book has numbers in it and show a child who has a dollar and spends his money on various items and the book keeps track of his balance. The child vows he will not spend all of it, although he eventually does. This book mainly serves to children in 1st-2nd grade. I chose to read it to my nephew who is 2nd grade. He loves to have money and is similar to the boy in the book because he likes to save, but he buys items at the same time. I wanted my nephew mainly to look at the book and identify with the child a little bit, but also since the books uses numbers he could learn to manage money better. I don't mean make better buys, I mean for him to be able to keep count with the money better. After I finished reading the book he asked me if we could count the money he saved.

No comments: